Speed Of Light famous quotes

Last updated: Sep 5, 2024

• It was not often that she was alone like this and she did not like it. When she was alone she had to think and, these days, thoughts were not so pleasant.

• Well time has a way of throwing it all in your face. The past, she is haunted, the future is laced.

• Few are made better by prosperity, whom afflictions make worse.

• We are now considering legislation based on statistics that include name-calling at public rallies as crimes. Are we going on to the school yards of this country and when two kids get angry with each other and call each other names -- what are we going to do, cart them over to the reformatory or add them to the list of 'hate crimes' perpetrators? This is ridiculous.

• Every genuinely literary style, from the high authorial voice to Foster Wallace and his footnotes-within-footnotes, requires the reader to see the world from somewhere in particular, or from many places. So every novelist's literary style is nothing less than an ethical strategy - it's always an attempt to get the reader to care about people who are not the same as he or she is.

• I want to do good, and I want people to be happy, and sometimes when youre a people pleaser, you spread yourself too thin.

• Contrary to what many writers imply about the process, nobody forces a writer to sell his work to the film industry.

• I frequently tramped eight or ten miles through the deepest snow to keep an appointment with a beechtree, or a yellow birch, or an old acquaintance among the pines.

• I think Katy B encapsulates young London in a way I never could. She reps London harder than anyone song-wise since Lily Allen.

• [On how she goes about trying to live authentically] Well really listening to my point of view and if I am on a set, say, that doesn't really value a woman's point of view, regardless of how they feel, continuing to give my point of view and try to find a way to be heard and not diminishing myself because other people are diminishing me. Because that, I think, is the worst temptation that, you know, you judge yourself by how others are judging you, and to fall into that trap is to walk into the realm of self-annihilation.